Wodonga workplace Aware Industries provides labour solutions to businesses through providing work for people with a disability. With the support of the Achievement Program, their unique approach to workplace wellness – 'healthy body, healthy mind' – has allowed them to address both physical and mental health in the workplace.
The Achievement Program steps workplaces through a process of developing a healthy culture, healthy physical environment, healthy community connections, and health and wellbeing opportunities. It is based on the World Health Organization’s Healthy Workplaces Model.
Some of the mental health initiatives that Aware Industries have introduced include:
- cultural changes, such as integrating Mental Health and Wellbeing into existing policies, a participation and inclusion policy and engaging employees in weekly 'toolbox' sessions
- a leadership program which matches six trainee team leaders with senior managers/coordinators to help prepare them to take on leadership roles
- an emphasis on job design which allows employees to work across a number of business services
- promoting workplace health messages in meetings, at induction for new staff, and at events like Mental Health Awareness Month.
Initiatives to increase physical activity in the workplace include:
- providing and promoting the use of exercise equipment for employees
- supporting employee participation in physical activity initiatives such as Premiers Active April, 10,000 steps and Albury Wodonga City 2 City
- providing facilities which encourage active transport
- promoting the benefits of physical activity at training programs and in new staff inductions.
Their commitment to be a Healthy Workplace has been recognised by the Achievement Program for physical activity, mental health and wellbeing and smoking - and by industry awards. In 2015 the organisation received the Award for Excellence in Health and Wellbeing and was shortlisted for the Employer of Choice Award in the Aubury Wodonga Chamber Business Awards.
Find out more about the Achievement Program here.
What initiatives are you and your organisation using to raise awareness about physical and mental health?
Submit your story!